Thursday, May 5, 2011

Secretariat










Imp imitates Secretariat at the Kentucky Horse Park in 2004







Thirty eight years ago, the great Secretariat won the Kentucky Derby and was just a few short weeks ago from immortalizing himself in greatness.

Most of us remember where we were when we watched his amazing feats...I watched the last two legs at my grandparents farm in McMurray, Pennsylvania.

He is my horse hero! My most expensive and prized possesion is a sculpture that I bought of him, after winning several thousands of dollars at Church Hill Downs! It graces a shelf of my antique corner cupboard in my living room.

When Jen and I had the opportunity to take a tour of the Lexington farms, we instead called Claiborne Farms and got a personal and private tour, where we saw his grave and his stall (and Jen got to pet Unbridled and Go For Gin!)

Jen's former eventer, Bates, is a grandson of Secretariat and has the same golden chestnut coat.

I have his videos, dvds and books!

His death came the day before Jen was born, on October 4, 1989. His obituary is in her baby book. Probably the only infant who's baby book holds such an item!

For me, there will be no greater horse than Secretariat!

1 comment:

  1. My sister had a grandson of Secretariat and that horse could jump the moon, I swear!! A little loopy though...

    ReplyDelete